Monday, October 29, 2018

Week 13 - Drunks All Around!


Hola Everyone:

This week was busy, very busy. We had a lot of experiences with drunk people. It’s very hard to understand their Spanish when they are drunk.  They come up to us and say, “Jesus” a lot. We just say, “yeah, we represent Jesus Christ.” They will talk to me and my Comp and ask where I am from. I tell them Utah, but one guy insisted I was from Phoenix. So that was funny! The drunks also ask us for money a lot. So, we give them anywhere from 5-10 pesos. I gave one guy 5 pesos and he gave me this giant hug. He smelt heavily of beer and it was quite disgusting. Another guy kept yelling to me, “Gringo, Gringo, do you have any money?” I said, “All I have is 5 pesos.” He said, “okay, give it to me.” So, I did and he high fived me. We have found that giving them something is better than getting robbed because we have many opportunities to get robbed and so we just give them a little bit of money and they leave us alone. They ask us for help a lot of the time too. One had dropped some stuff he was carrying and asked us to help pick it up and we did.   We come in contact with the drunks quite a bit.

Here’s another update on our rat problem. We are still getting them. It had slowed down for about a week, but now they are back. And honestly, I don't know what to do. We’ve cleaned our house and have kept it clean but, we caught two today. They always come in from under the front door and we've done things to try to fix it, but they keep coming.  We don't have any food anywhere. It’s definitely something I'm going to highlight when I talk to the President. It’s starting to frustrate me a lot because no matter what we do, it keeps happening.  When we go and have exchanges with other people, they have food in their kitchens and house. They are lucky because they have cereal and stuff, but I sometimes feel like my Comp and I have to starve because we can’t have food in our house or it brings in more rats. When I get a new Companion here in the next month, he’s going to be sad to know that he can’t have any food here because the rats have moved in and are here to stay. I’m constantly washing my hands because if I touch something, I don’t know if one of the rats have been on it or not.  

As far as our investigators go, Alfredo and his uncle Noe are doing pretty good. They both come to Church a lot.  This week I had Elder Boldagas go on splits with me here in my Area and we taught both of them about Tithing, Fasting and Fast Offerings and they both accepted that pretty well.  They are great investigators and accept everything we are teaching them.  Also, this past week, Elder Castro and I taught a discussion to these two little girls named Daphne and Xochit. They are nine and eight years old and I have to say that teaching kids is even harder than teaching adults with my limited Spanish abilities right now.  Anyway, the discussion went well and both of them are scheduled for baptism on November 24th.   

Today, we taught a woman named Josephena and she was really hard to teach and had a lot of questions for us.  I guess she is having a lot of problems in her family and her husband who has left her, so I guess things are a mess in her life.  Anyway, we taught her a discussion and have an appointment with her for the next discussion next week!

So, the pictures I am sending home today are of the inside of one of the Combes we use to get around the City and of my weekly planning journals that I keep.  Elder Castro gave me the one with me and Elder Williams on it and they make them by pasting a picture onto a cereal box, cutting it out and then punching holes in it and putting the binding in.  Anyway, I made myself one that I use to study Spanish and that is the one with Christ in the Boat from the Ensign.

Anyway, things are going pretty great, we have people to teach and we are doing a lot of service for people.  This week I got to cut a member’s grass with hand shears and although you may be getting cold back home, it is still hot as heck here! But we had a good time anyway.

Sorry I don’t have a lot of picture of my area. Tecamac is the roughest City of the Mission and my area “Montes” is by far the most dangerous area, so I don’t dare take my camera out because I don’t want any more reasons to get held up and robbed.  Other places in the Mission are a lot better so I will be able to get more pictures there!  But, I hope with Day of the Dead coming up I will be able to get a few pictures this week!  I Love being a missionary and sharing the Gospel every day!

Love

Elder Fawcett

Combe We Use Every Day






Empty Combe


Planner Elder Castro Made Me (Front)










Back

My Spanish Planner (Front)















Back