Monday, October 8, 2018

Week 10 - Trials While Understanding Spanish!

Hola Everyone:

So, a lot of new things have happened this week.  Beginning with the fact that we have almost fixed our Rat problem. But in the meantime, we are having to buy most of our food off of the street vendors.  I am ok with it though.  On one of the days this past week we got this sandwich called a “Coabana”.  It was massive and chucked full of things like ham, an egg, steak, cheese and a bunch of other stuff I didn’t know but it was soo good!  My stomach handled it pretty good and only hurt a little afterwards.  It basically handled it pretty much like the rest of the Mexican food I have been eating.

Also, this past week, I got my first hair cut from the street.  They are really expensive so we went to this weird salon place and this weird looking woman came out and started cutting my hair.  She started talking to Elder Castro and we realized pretty quickly that this woman was actually a man and he thought I was pretty good looking, yes, he was gay!  So sadly, my Spanish is getting better and I could understand him as he commented on “my eyes, my strong built chest and my shoulders.”  So that was a trial of my faith because the old part of me wanted to show him how strong my fist was and what it could do to his jaw and teeth.  However, I remembered that Christ wouldn’t do that so I just sat there while my hair was cut!

So now on a more Spiritual note, this week we had a lot of success with member referrals.  We have a Baptismal date for the 20th of this month with Manuel.  He has gone to our Church for a couple of years now but for some reason, no missionaries have ever talked with him.  So, we have started teaching him.  He is very ready for baptism.  The best experience I had with him was when we were teaching him Lesson 1.  I got to introduce him to the Book of Mormon through my broken Spanish and he was able to understand what I was saying.  He accepted the Book of Mormon from me and agreed to read it.

The other member referral Baptism date is with a man named Alfredo.  His is also very interested in the Church.  He accepted our invitation to be Baptized on Nov 10th.  He also got his father who is fairly older to start listening to us and now he is coming to Church also.

This week has just been interesting.  We spend a lot of time trying to talk to people on the street and this week I had a man come up to me with a cigarette in his mouth and I was able to have him leave me with tears in his eyes and a copy of the Book of Mormon in his hands.  We have had people come up to us and just need help and we are able to help them.  It is just amazing to be able to help people that need help!

So, this weekend as you know it was Conference.  I am sure that buzz at home is the new Church meeting schedule.  I know why they made this change!  I believe Church Leaders are trying to put more responsibility on the Family which they should.  Satan is attacking the Family with all he has.  I know people get sick of listening to that doctrine of Family.  Honestly why though?  Families are so important!  I can’t wait to have my own Family!  Through my Mission so far, the Lord has really made me a believer in how important my current and future family are to me.  As I am out here, it is hard to watch people forfeit the blessings of having a forever family for a moment of satisfaction.  General Conference really was amazing.  I am so happy I was able to watch it in English with Elder Williams.

Being a Missionary brings so many emotions.  It is hard not to miss your loved ones at home but through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, I am able to focus on the work as well as being able to learn to speak Spanish.  I am so grateful for his hand in my life.  The people he has put in my life have made me realize what a blessed person I really am. I am so weak but through Christ, I can become strong and help the people here in Mexico

Love 

Elder Fawcett


My First Haircut Off the Street!














Coabana