Monday, November 19, 2018

Week 16 - We All Have Obstacles in Life!

Hola Everyone:

So, this week went by pretty fast and we really worked hard!  Tuesday, we had interviews with the President and he is really happy with the progress we are making.  Also, we had inspections of our house.  Cleaning up the house really good and having El Gato Jose has really helped because our house is now rat free!  We still have no food in the house but whatever, at least the rats are finally gone.

On Wednesday, I went on splits with Elder Mendez. He has been on his mission for 22 months and is from Guatemala.  He speaks really good English and worked for T-Mobile before his mission.  We went contacting for most of the day and he really helped me out in learning new ways to contact and it was really cool.

On Thursday, we had divisions in my area and Elder Williams and I went out all day together.  It was really cool being the Senior Companion for the day and having to be the one who knew the area and the things to do.  Elder William’s and my Spanish abilities are at about the same level and we didn’t have any Latino’s with us so it really helped both of us learn fast because we had to. We went and taught Alfredo about the Aaronic Priesthood and he was able to get that on Sunday with Manuel.  They both were given the Aaronic Priesthood and were Ordained to the office of a Priest and the was really cool to see.  Also, we went and taught one of the member’s Mom.  She is blind and has diabetes and has a pretty hard life. Honestly, she was really depressed and we talked with her for a while and shared some scriptures about tribulations and disabilities in life.  But while we were talking to her, I thought, I am like 18 years old, listening to a lady who can’t see, has diabetes, speaks Spanish and is really depressed!  But I really connected with her and shared with her an experience from my own life.  I told her that I can’t focus very well although I have tried my hardest, it is really a struggle for me.  For my entire mission, I have studied really hard every day and keep all the rules but it continues to be a struggle for me!  But I know that it is something that I can’t run away from and is a problem that the Lord has given me to overcome in my life. Everyone of us has been given obstacles to overcome in life and I know through the Lord’s help we can and will overcome them!  So, that was really cool to be able to share something about myself with her and we expressed our love for her. As Elder Williams and I left, the Spirit was really super strong and she told us that she felt a ton better, so yea that was really good.

Elder Williams and I were also invited to lunch at a member’s house. We were having a hard time finding the address because Mexico address’ are so hard. There are no street signs or anything. As we were looking for the member’s house, a guy in a white tank top whistled to us. Elder Williams and I just looked at each other cause here we are two Gringo’s walking down the street in the middle of Mexico and were thinking oh no. So, this guy is begging for us to come over to his door.  We were very apprehensive, but we went over and the guy asked us what we believed in. We told him God and Jesus Christ. He then told us ok, come in. So, we went in and talked with him and come to find out he’s been a less active member for 10 years and his wife is not a member. They are extremely interested in coming back to Church and so we wrote down their information and Elder Castro and I have visited with them later in the week. We think we will have success in reactivating him and teaching her so were crossing our fingers. 

On Friday, Elder Castro and I had an appointment with Daphne and Xochit and we talked about their baptism which is this Saturday the 24th and they have asked us to baptize them. I’ll be baptizing Daphne which is kind of scary having to say everything in Spanish because full Spanish names are pretty hard, but I’m really looking forward to it and am honored to be doing it. I feel very blessed that I’ll have four baptisms in my first area at least.  

Noe is still gone. We are kind of moving on from him because we really don’t think he is ever coming back. But if by chance he does, we’re here. We have a few new investigators and we’re having success with them. So, we are excited about that.  

I have one last story. So, we meet with a member who is practically a single mom because we never see the dad, but we think there is a dad in the picture somewhere. Anyway, she started to cry to Elder Castro and I because her son that is maybe one or two years old has been having some health problems. She was really worried about her son, so while he was asleep, we gave him a blessing. It was really cool because it was my first-time anointing someone and I did it in Spanish! It was super cool!

So that was my week. It was a busy one. My Spanish is getting better every day. I love being a missionary and I love serving the people of Mexico!

Love,

Elder Fawcett


Spanish Studying Wall!

Home Inspection!
Rat Free but Still No Food!