Monday, November 26, 2018

Week 17 - Lighting Up the Temple

Hola Everyone:

So, wow, what a week! On Sunday, we were given permission from our Mission President to go to the Mexico City Temple with our Ward Members for the turning on of the Temple Christmas lights. There was like tons of people there from all over.  We were given permission to go although it is outside our Mission because we are so close.  We literally took an Uber 30 minutes to get there!  There were a ton of missionaries from the other mission there but it was just our District from the Pachuca Mission.  It was also really cool because I got to see one of my Sister MTC teachers.  It was kinda cool to see her with Elder Williams, you know, because the last we saw her we couldn’t really speak Spanish and she was like crying because we can now talk to her!  Also, I took a picture with an Elder named Elder Plumber and he was a Senior when I was a Junior at Davis High and we played together on the Football team.

Other than that, this week was pretty freaking crazy, honestly, you know, some weeks are just like that in the mission and not every week is fun but this past week we were able to have some pretty good success! Tuesday, I went on exchanges with my Zone Leader and he was really happy with how I am progressing and how well I know the area.  Exchanges are great because I get to learn new things from other missionaries!

So, last week we were told that they were going to be splitting up our Area because it is so huge.  I guess in the past there were 2 Areas here and I don’t know why they changed because it is such a big Area, we can’t get to all of it.  Anyway, we were asked this week to go out and find another house for the other set of Elders that will be coming here next week and we found this amazing place for them and it is a lot better than the place I am living in now! With changes next week, I know my Companion Elder Castro is probably leaving because he has been here for 3 Changes, but I don’t know about me.  It is a lot of stress thinking that I am going to not only have to train a new Companion, but also another set of Elders on this Area.  There are still a ton of members who are less active that I hardly know and even though they don’t come to Church, they still feed the missionaries and it is hard even for Elder Castro to find where they live when we get invited over there.  AS I mentioned last week, there are no street signs so you really have to now where you are going.  The other thing that is hard is remembering all the members names.  When women get married down here, they don’t drop their last name, they just add their husbands name to theirs so everyone has like 4 names and no one calls anyone by their last name because it is confusing. So, if I wasn’t a missionary, they would call me Hermano Tanner!

The best thing about this week was that we had the baptism for Daphne and Xochit.  It was pretty cool and I was asked to baptize Daphne and Elder Castro baptized Xochit.  Now there have been times on my mission where I have just hated it, always being tired and sick, but being able to baptize Daphne made it all worth it and made all the bad times worth it. It made me realize why I am here.  In the pictures of the baptism, I show the parents and family who are not members, but they were there to support and so now, we are trying to work with them. 

We’re working with a few investigators right now. We have just started teaching them, so we are just starting to get to know them. They live behind our house, so depending on how our Area is split up, we might be turning them over to the other missionaries that will be in that Area. 

I don't know how much teaching we’ll be able to do this week. We got a lot of stuff to do with the new house and etc… Usually last the week before transfers there is a lot preparation going on. Like preparing the Area for new Elders to come in. I’m not sure how other missions work, but the way our President does transfers is he’ll call the Zone Leaders Sunday and tells them who needs to go where and when. Sometimes we only get a two-hour notice to pack all our stuff up and go. I’m wondering if I’ll be changed, but I’m almost positive Elder Castro will be changed because President doesn’t like to keep us missionaries in an area more than four months. But you never know. President is always full of surprises. So, stay tuned! 

So that was my week. I love being a missionary and I’m grateful to be serving the people of Mexico.

Love,

Elder Fawcett





                                                                   Playing with a Member's Little Girl!



Daphne, Xochit and Their Family






Elder Fawcett, Daphne, Xochit and Elder Castro


At the Baptism!










Elders Fawcett and Plumber











Mexico City Temple Lighting















Tons of People









At a Member's House








Their Dog!







Member's Daughter














Another Daughter










New Missionaries Apartment!