Monday, February 18, 2019

Week 29 - Christ Like Attributes

Hola Everyone,

Well, it's been an interesting week. My week started off with a call from President Kimball to tell me that my Grandma Fawcett passed away. He gave me permission to call my Grandpa the next day to see how he was doing. It was good to talk with him for just a few minutes. I am sad my grandma passed away, but I’m also happy for her. I’m happy that she doesn’t have to suffer anymore and deal with anymore physical limitations like she did.  

Another big event this past week was the big news that missionaries can now call home.  I understand why they are allowing this because there's probably a lot more missionaries going home than normal. And if they can speak with their families once a week, it can help them and comfort them. I personally don’t know if I’ll call my family every week. I mean, I've survived my whole mission so far without calling, so I’ll probably just call if needed. It’s just a matter of personal need and opinion. 

So, the cycle is winding down. I guess this is what happens when you get further onto the mission. Everything kind of starts to blend. This past week was the fifth week of the cycle and my Companion and I are not sure if we will get changed or not. I’m really hoping we don’t. Elder Bodegas has always been one of my favorite people in the mission. We work hard and get along great! But if either of us gets transferred, it’s ok. We will continue to work hard wherever we go.

As far as an update with our investigators, we put down a baptismal date of March 9th for a guy named Francisco who's not from our Ward. He comes to our Ward because he doesn't like his home Ward. He's not very far away, but he likes our Ward better because he says the people are nicer and he feels more welcomed.  People shake his hand and he comes to church faithfully.  It will be the first week of the cycle so I’m hoping I’ll still be here to see him baptized.

 We didn’t have many opportunities to teach people this week because for some reason it's just getting really, really hard and nobody's falling through with their appointments. We'd call them or we’d go to their house and knock. They don't answer. Then we’d stop by again come by again or they’d tell us a good day to come and then we'd go that day and then it falls through again. So, we're still struggling with progressing investigators. From what I understand, that’s why this area has been closed is because we look at the progress records in our area binder and it seems like every Elder and Sister that used to be here almost a year ago, had the same problem. There are just mostly people that say, yeah, I'm interested, but you're lucky if you get an appointment with them. So, we're really kind of pushing hard on that.

Also, this past week I got to go back to my past area in the Montes Ward because Elder McBreaitry and his new companion have continued teaching the family that I first contacted and we started teaching.  I was able to see them get baptized and that was great! They were so excited and happy! It was weird going back to my previous area. It honestly made me appreciate the area I am in now a lot more. It was a good area. But it was smaller than this area and the state of Mexico is so much different than the state of Hidalgo, which is Pachuca, which is most of our mission. It's more relaxed here. There's not as much traffic and stuff like that. And it's cheaper here. Colombes and taxis and stuff like that are a lot cheaper because we used so many taxis. It's funny because everything's expensive. We've used our bikes probably about two weeks of this whole cycle because my Companions tire is flat. He needs a new tire, but for some reason we can't get into see the Armano (the brother who's in charge of doing the bikes). So, we haven't been using them. 

It’s starting to get hot here and it’s only February. Last night we had to turn on our big fan because we were sweating so much. I wasn’t sure it would, because when I first looked at my mission, it said it was pretty cold. And it really doesn't get that cold. There are days when it’s kind of chilly and I put on my jacket, but never freezing cold. I miss the cold and I miss the Snow, that's for sure!

I hope your all doing well. I love serving the people of Mexico and I love being a missionary!

Have a great week!

Love,

Elder Fawcett

As a part of this week letter, I would like to talk about Christ like attributes and the people I think are the best example on them which are my Grandma and Grandpa.  In 3 Nephi 27:27 it says, “What manner ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am.”  Here Christ clearly states we should be like him. We can do this by developing these attributes:

  1. Faith in Jesus Christ:  My whole life, I have seen Grandpa as a strong faithful member of the gospel.  With raising children in the gospel, he taught them the importance of the gospel and as a result, all of his children are active members of the church.  I have also had the chance to watch my Grandpa take care of Grandma.  Which in her conditions for several years was pretty difficult.  However, without fail my Grandpa took her to Church nearly every week to renew her covenant and his as well.  Grandpa followed the teachings of Christ in this action of faith which I know was not always easy.
  2. Hope:  My Grandpa is an amazing example of this.  For years, my Grandpa has taken care of my sick Grandma and never in my life have I heard him complain about doing so.  I can only imagine the pain my Grandpa has felt with seeing his wife’s health be on a downhill slope for so many years.  However, my Grandpa has never given up on her even through the medical bills, the pain he has gone through or anything else in helping Grandma.  My Grandpa has always shown his hope and faith in the Lord. I know with the death of Grandma; my Grandpa has faith and hope the she is in a better place with her family (Ether 12:32)
  3. Charity and Love: (Moroni 7:45-48). I could write so many examples of the charity and love of my Grandpa.  He took care of Grandma for a lot of years.  Most people would put someone like my Grandma in a nursing home and with the little care and attention she would have gotten there, she would have died much earlier.  But my Grandpa has spent the past several years taking amazing care of her.  He has spent the better part of his retired live and money taking care of his wife, never complaining.  Even though he has had lots of bills, he has never stopped helping me pay for my mission.  He has always put the needs of others before his own and has been a great example of showing what true love is as he has taken care of Grandma. (Alma 7:24).
  4. Knowledge: (D&C 88:118), My Grandpa is very smart and has always been there to help me when it has come to school work or understanding things in the temple. He has always been a guide to me.  His understanding of our family genealogy has always amazed me and I know that a lot of people on the other side owe him thanks for doing their work. 
  5. Patience: This is probably my favorite thing about my Grandpa.  He is the most patient person I know.  He never gets angry or upset and is always very understanding which makes him a great teacher.  It has been amazing for me to watch him take care of Grandma and show his patience has he took her for walks, fed her and cared for her every need.  My Grandpa has been patient with his trials just like we are taught to do.  If I could be as good with having patience as my Grandpa, then I would be a much better missionary. 
  6. Humility: (Alma 26:12), Grandpa is also the humblest man I know.  When we are humble, we are able to trust in the Lord.  Especially during our trials throughout life.  Grandpa has taught me a lot of things in life through his humility and example.
  7. Diligence: (D&C 58:38) Grandpa is always diligent in the Lord’s work.  All of the genealogy work and family history work he has done have bless a ton of lives on the other side of the veil.  Watching him always put the Lord first has been a great example to me and has helped me learn how to serve diligently as a missionary.
  8. Obedience: I know my Grandpa is a man of obedience.  If I ever do something stupid on my mission, my Grandpa out of love is quick to remind me of the rules and the way I should be acting.
As you can see, my Grandpa is the most Christ like person I know.  With the passing of my Grandma, I know that it has not been easy for my family but thanks to my Grandpa, she was able to be with us a lot longer than should would have been.  I really love my Grandma and I learned a lot from her but those memories are personal things that I do not want to share.  But I just want to say what a true hero/example Grandpa has been to me for all the years taking care of Grandma.

Goodbye Grandma!
Baptism of Gabriela, Melanie, Angel, and Valerie

Elders Fawcett and Bodegas with the DL