Monday, March 11, 2019

Week 32 - Translating for the Doctors!

Hola Everyone:

So, what a cool week it has been and I can’t believe that I have already been in Mexico for almost 8 months now!  Today we were supposed to have a Zone Activity and go and see the huge Christus Statue in our mission, but we had to postpone it because we spent the day translating again for some Eye Doctors that have been here for most of the week.  They are from Indiana and they all belong to the Lion’s Club there.  So, for the entire year, they collect used glasses from people that don’t want them anymore and then have the convicts in the various jails around them use special equipment to figure out what prescriptions each of the glasses are.  They then come down here to Mexico for a week and perform free eye exams for people before giving them a pair of glasses to wear.  Everything is really bright here and there are a lot of people with bad eye sight that cannot afford glasses so that is how they get them.  

This past week, we spent most of Tuesday and Thursday as well as today translating for the doctors!  They all couldn’t believe that I have only been studying Spanish for just over 7 months and how easy it was for me to translate whatever they needed me to into Spanish!  Learning Spanish has been pretty tough, but I am happy that the Lord has blessed me as I have and continue to study every day.  At this point I am pretty comfortable speaking to people about most anything and I am happy that I was able to use my Spanish ability to not only teach the Gospel, but also to assist the Doctors to help the people.

The other big thing that happened this week was that we had the baptism for Francisco on Saturday and it was a really spiritual baptism, probably the most spiritual baptism I have had on my mission!  The Bishop was even crying and it was just a really great experience.  Francisco is going to be a great member of the church.

So outside of the Baptism and translating, we spent the rest of our time contacting. Honestly, it is sort of getting frustrating because we contact people, teach them a lesson and invite them to church and they never come.  We have taught a lot of lessons but it is really hard to get any of them to come to church!

It is really Hot in Mexico now!  I hear you all had snow this past week and honestly, I kind of miss that right now!  In my pictures for this week, I took some of the mountains because that is one thing that I really miss back home is seeing and being in the mountains!  But Mexico is Great and I wouldn’t trade being here for anything.  I love being a missionary here in Mexico and I Love the People of Mexico!

Love 

Elder Fawcett


Translating for the Doctors














Checking People In


Elder Fawcett, Francisco, Ward Member, Elder Bodegas















Francisco with Ward Members and Friends










Mountains of Pachuca