Monday, September 24, 2018

Week 8 - Life in Tecamac

Hola Everyone,

Sorry that this letter is a little shorter this week, we had an activity today in Pachuca at the President’s house that took up most of the day!

This week has been a very long one. So, for my first P-day last week, my Zone and another Zone got together and played soccer. It was fun! Tuesday, we had to take a bus for about an hour. We had our little welcome meeting and training with President Kimball.  While there, I was able to see everyone from my CCM group. We talked about rules and finances. Wednesday, we taught our first lesson which was really cool. We taught a family with the Dad being the only member. We taught the first lesson and it went really well. The family started to cry and the Spirit was really strong. Friday, we had to go to Pachuca again for our first Zone Conference. We talked about the mission and how everyone is doing. President Kimball then gave us a new initiative which is 212 baptisms in 3 months. Its going to be really hard, but I know we can do it. Saturday our Ward had a baptism for an 8-year-old boy. We had to get everything thing set up for that and that was really cool experience.

I want to talk about Tecamac for a minute. Tecamac is a City that boarders Mexico City. It’s a pretty sketchy place if I say so myself. I am sorry there isn’t a ton of pictures. I can’t carry my camera around with me because I am afraid I would get robbed. To get around the City, because our area is pretty big, we take these Mexican sprinter vans everywhere called Combes. They are crazy to drive in. They have signs up in the windshields telling where all of the different ones go. Once we find the right one, we call them over and they pick us up. They cram the car full of people! Whenever I get in, I get stared and glared at. That’s always fun. The ride usually costs 10 pesos per person. That sounds cheap, but when you have to take a lot of them each week, it adds up pretty fast. That is our main form of transportation.  Another thing about Tecamac, is I don’t think they have an age limit for drinking or smoking. I see really young kids doing it and it makes me really sad to see it. Tecamac is a really interesting place. I don’t think you need a license to drive either. I see like 14-year-old kids driving. I’ve also seen all sorts of interesting shoes with different pictures on them. Some of which I shouldn’t mention. Trash is also a really big problem here. Most people just liter and it gets really gross in some places. That’s where the smells come in. Sometimes I can’t breathe because it smells so bad!  Anyways, that’s the city. The members of the Ward are really nice though. They all laugh at my Spanish. If anyone is curious about how I feel everyday of my life, watch the part in “The Best Two Years” when Elder Calhoun goes to the store for the first time.  That’s what every day is like for me. We eat lunch at a member’s house almost every day. They feed us a lot, but sometimes the food doesn’t agree with my stomach. 

In closing, I would just like to say that I have learned a lot already on my mission. Life isn’t about fun and games, its about work. Not just having a job, but just always working. As a missionary, I have learned you work hard every day. We don’t get weekends off. We don’t even get P-days off.  With the Lord’s help, I hope that I am able to stay healthy, so I can continue to work hard every day of my mission.

Love you all,

Elder Fawcett

My Apartment, Surrounding Streets and Sports P-Day Today







































Zone Conference




















New Missionary Training Meeting