Monday, January 21, 2019

Week 25 - Starting from Scratch

Hola Everyone:

I don’t have a lot of time today so sorry for the short letter!  This past week, Elder Bodegas and I have really been working super hard and have been contacting like crazy.  We both got here last week to open up this area and soon found that we were starting from absolutely nothing.  Tuesday morning, we started off by hitting the streets contacting people.  Each of us have been getting about 15 contacts each everyday this week which is sort of nuts.  The goal for the mission is to contact 15 people per companionship so we are doing double that!

I have been rejected a ton everyday and also have been sworn at quite a bit but honestly, it is really no worse than Montes was and in fact in some aspects it is actually a little better.  In addition to contacting this past week, we have also tried to visit a lot of the members in the San Fernando Ward and let them know that we are opening this area for missionary work. So far, we have not had a lot of success with that although we did get one good referral. Her name is Teresa and she is an older lady who has taken some of the lessons in the past. She came to Church with us on Sunday with her Nephew Jorge and it was really cool because she said that she could feel something different about our church.  Elder Bodegas and I took that moment to make a challenge to her and her nephew for baptism on the 9th of February which they accepted.  So, we are really hyped about that after only being in the area for one really hard week!

We have really been trying hard in this new area this week and I can really tell you that opening a new area is really hard to do!  This coming week, we have set up a couple of visits with other people in the Ward who are part member families so we are really hoping to be able to start teaching the other people in their families.

So, something that has been happening down here in Mexico that you probably know more about than I do is something with the gasoline.  I guess they turned off the pipelines for some reason, although I heard people were cutting into the pipeline to steal gas. That resulted in huge fires and a lot of people getting killed and burned really bad here in my mission. With the pipeline turned off, they are bringing in gas to all of the stations using big huge heavily guarded trucks.  That has resulted in there being shortages, so there are insane lines to get gas at all of the gas stations.  
  
Anyway, we don’t have to worry too much about the gas because in this area, we have bikes which I have learned are really not that great of quality and really hurt my butt and legs.  I guess the good thing is that my leg muscles and knees are getting a lot stronger here.

I am really excited to be working / opening up this new area although it is pretty hard.  I know that by following the Spirit and doing our best every day we will be able to find those people who are looking for the True Gospel.  I Love being a missionary!

Love,

Elder Fawcett



                                                                                   New Life Skills!!!


My New Area













Streets of Pachuca




Typical Homes in Area







Doing My Laundry in a Bucket!















Full Moon in Mexico















Blood Moon Solar Eclipse we Saw